12 Best Lego Car Kits for Auto-Obsessed Kids (& Husbands)
The team members here at Best Apps for Kids are huge fans of all things LEGO. Apps recommended in our popular best LEGO apps list are perennial favorites amongst our readers and their children. It was a blast putting together this list of the 12 best LEGO vehicles. We were surprised at the world of LEGO Cars, LEGO trucks, LEGO sports cars and race machines. It is huge and ever expanding so we got some help from our expert car friends at Supercars.net (thanks guys).
These machines are very faithful representations of the donor cars and icons they are based on. It is absolutely amazing. Everyone loves these cars, it is just so much fun to put them together. The LEGO car sets we liked made a great use of stickers, colors, pieces and of course the mini-figure.
From a quality perspective, all the LEGO car kits were strong and of very high quality. The building experience was great; all of the sets were simple and easy to build. Some are more advanced and might not be the easiest for children so expect to help them with some of the tougher ones.
We love cars. We love Lego. So as far as playtime goes, this list of the top LEGO car kits is about as good as it gets.
Buy: Amazon $149.95
Build a LEGO Creator Expert replica of the world’s most popular automobile. This beautifully crafted LEGO model is packed with authentic details that capture the vehicle’s character and charm, including an azure-blue color scheme, curved fenders, white rims with distinctive hubcaps, round headlights and wing-mounted turn signals. Lift the hood and you’ll discover a spare tire and fuel tank, while in the trunk you’ll find a detailed 4-cylinder air-cooled engine. You can even open the doors or remove the roof section to access the detailed interior. Tilt the rear seat forward to reveal a storage compartment with beach towel, and of course, no 1960s VW Beetle would be complete without a surfboard and a cooler box, the perfect accessories for a fun day at the beach!
- Lego Creator Expert 10252 – Volkswagen Beetle
- 1960s VW Beetle with surfer theme features an array of brick-built details including an azure-blue color scheme, curved fenders, white rims with distinctive hubcaps, round headlights, wing-mounted turn signals and opening hood, trunk and doors.
- VW Beetle including surfboard and cooler measures over 5″ (15cm) high, 11″ (29cm) long and 4″ (12cm) wide.
- Open the trunk to reveal the authentic, 4-cylinder air-cooled engine.
- Open the doors or remove the roof section to access the detailed beige-colored interior with dashboard, steering wheel and tiltable front and back seats.
Buy: Amazon $119.95
Road trips will never be the same again with the iconic 1962 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van. This authentic camper van is a replica of the classic Volkswagen Camper Van from 1962. Every iconic feature is here! On the outside, the terrific detailing includes ‘V’ shape three-way color split at the front, rounded roof and window frames, opening ‘splittie’ safari windshield, opening doors, iconic pop-up roof with textile curtain surround, roof rack, rear side air intake vents and lots more! The detailing is equally impressive on the inside, from the authentic VW air-cooled flat four cylinder ‘boxer’ engine, front cabin bench seat, gear stick, angled dashboard and iconic spherical speedometer, to custom LEGO features like folding rear bench seat, folding dinette table, closet with mirror and even a painting! Ages 16+. 1,322 pieces.
- Additional exterior features include 11 windows, authentic plaid-print textile curtains and wing mirror
- Rear door opens to reveal detailed engine
- Interior also features rear bench seat that transforms into a bed, ‘Make LEGO Models, Not War’ T-shirt and rear shelf with plant
- Measures 11.8″ (30cm) long and 5.5″ (14cm) high
- 1,322 pieces
Buy: Amazon $399
Celebrate innovative engineering and design from one of the world’s leading car manufacturers with this stunning LEGO Technic model. Developed in partnership with Dr. ING. H.C.F. Porsche AG, this elegantly packaged LEGO Technic Porsche 911 GT3 RS with its sleek aerodynamic lines, adjustable rear spoiler and orange bodywork is packed with authentic features and functions that capture the magic of the iconic supercar, and the attention to detail is clear from the outset! Open the doors and you’ll discover an elaborate cockpit with racing seats, working gearbox, steering wheel with gearshift paddles, detailed dashboard and a glove compartment containing a unique serial number. Lift the rear lid and you’ll have access to a detailed flat 6 engine with moving pistons, while under the hood you’ll find a storage area with suitcase. Red suspension springs, detailed brake calipers and original-design rims with special low-profile road-gripping tires add the final touches to this magnificent model!
- Features authentically designed aerodynamic bodywork, adjustable rear spoiler, headlights and taillights, red suspension springs, original-design rims with RS emblem, detailed brake calipers, low-profile tires
- Also features working gearbox, working steering wheel with gearshift paddles, detailed seating, glove compartment with unique model serial number, opening doors, opening hood containing a suitcase, and an opening rear lid with detailed flat 6 engine
- Includes a special full-color collector’s book including the history of LEGO Technic and Porsche GT cars, plus comprehensive building instructions
- Includes a collection of authentic stickers and is delivered in luxurious box packaging
- Porsche 911 GT3 RS measures over 6″ (17cm) high, 22″ (57cm) long and 9″ (25cm) wide
Buy: Amazon $59.68
The demon is getting away! Pack the gear into the rear of the Ecto-1, start up the engine and help the Ghostbusters heroes get ready for a thrilling hot pursuit. Take aim and zap Mayhem to contain him in the trap or help Kevin join the fight on the Ecto-2 motorbike! Battle the flying phantom or role-play other fun scenes from the 2016 Ghostbusters movie.
- The Ecto-1 vehicle features Ghostbusters logo, removable roof, seats for 4 Ghostbusters heroes, opening front doors, rear storage with opening door for some ghostbusting accessories, side ladder and an ECTO-1 license plate
- The Ecto-2 motorbike features a rear storage box and ECTO-2 license plate
- Weapons include 4 proton packs, proton sidearm and an ion shield gun
- Includes 5 minifigures: Abby Yates, Erin Gilbert, Jillian Holtzmann, Patty Tolan and Kevin, plus a Mayhem figure
Buy: Amazon $99.95
Take the iconic MINI Cooper for a drive! This beautifully crafted LEGO brick replica of the classic MINI Cooper Mk VII is full of authentic details, from the classic green and white color scheme with white wing mirrors and racing stripes, to the opening doors, hood and trunk, sporty fog lights, detailed engine and separate spare tire compartment. You can even remove the roof to access a tan colored interior with patterned seats, veneer-style dashboard, turning steering wheel, and moving gearshift and handbrake. And of course, no MINI Cooper would be complete without a picnic basket and blanket, the perfect accessories for a fun day in the countryside!.
- Features opening doors, hood and trunk, spare wheel in separate compartment, detailed engine and 2 fog lights
- Accessories include a picnic basket, bottle and blanket for nostalgic picnic theme; authentic replica of the MINI Cooper Mk VII
- Classic green and white color theme with white wing mirrors and racing stripes; lift the hood to reveal the detailed engine
- Remove the roof and access the detailed interior; go on a countryside picnic with this iconic classic!
- MINI Cooper measures over 4″ (11cm) high, 9″ (25cm) long and 5″ (14cm) wide
Buy: Amazon $103.99
Scream around the circuit in the lightning-fast 24 Hours Race Car! This robust, immaculately detailed LEGO Technic model has all the features of a real-life race car, including a detailed V8 engine with moving pistons, opening gull-wing doors, all-round independent suspension, working front steering, high fenders and an opening front trunk and engine hood. Put on your racing gloves and step on the gas! Upgrade with the 8293 Power Functions motor set (not supplied) and you have bright LED headlights plus motorized gull wing doors and engine cover. This 2-in-1 model rebuilds into a SUV Racer.
- Features a detailed V8 engine with moving pistons, opening gull-wing doors, all-round independent suspension, working front steering, high fenders
- Upgrade with the 8293 LEGO Power Functions set (not included) for working LED headlight plus motorized gull-wing doors and engine hood
- 2-in-1 model: rebuilds into an SUV Racer
- 24 Hours Race Car measures over 3″ (10cm) high, 18″ (48cm) long and 8″ (21cm) wide
- SUV Racer measures over 6″ (16cm) high, 15″ (39cm) long and 7″ (19cm) wide
Buy: Amazon $42.95
The smooth lines of the LEGO® Technic Black Champion Racer can only mean one thing… speed! Pull the super-sleek car back, release and watch as it shoot forwards. The black and orange color scheme makes it look even cooler and there’s a sticker sheet of chrome decals to add even more detail. – Pieces: 138 – Item #: 42026 – Ages: 7-14
- Straightforward build with all the key Technic elements to challenge your building skills
- Super cool contoured body shape
- Distinctive black and orange and chrome decals
- Take your building skills to the next level
- Pull back and get ready to blast away from the starting grid
Buy: Amazon $83.90
Who will win the modern vs. classic car race?Only you can decide as you join the legendary Porsche team in the hi-tech garage. Use the car lift and tools to set up the ultra-modern Porsche 919 Hybrid and the classic 917K. Power away from the start line and monitor the cars on the pit lane screens. If you make a pit stop, change those wheels fast and get back in the race. For more than 60 years, Porsche has had one missionto build the car of the future, but will the 919 Hybrid be first past the checkered flag and claim the trophy?
- Become a member of the Porsche racing team of legend ! Using Karifuto and the tool , it is to develop the latest Porsche 919 hybrid and classic 917K ‘s your role .
- And at once accelerated from the start line , check the race in the screen of the pit lane . When the pit stop is quickly replacing the tires , I go back immediately to the race . More than 60 years has continued to car making of future Porsche , how really 919 hybrid can be made to hand the trophy to pass through the most the goal fluttering the checkered flag ?
Buy: Amazon $129.97
Build your very own miniature version of the iconic DeLorean time machine that Dr. Emmett ‘Doc’ Brown and Marty McFly famously used to travel Back to the Future. Selected by LEGO CUUSOO members, this amazing model features lots of cool details, like opening gull-wing doors, fold-up wheels, flux capacitor, time travel display and 2 license plates. We’ve also included extra engines and wheels so you can recreate the different variants of the time-traveling car featured in the Back to the Future movies. Finally, this unique set also includes a fascinating booklet containing production notes, original images and fun details from the movies. Includes 2 minifigures: Marty McFly and Doc Brown.`
- Features opening doors, fold-up wheels, flux capacitor, time travel display, 2 license plates, Marty’s skateboard as well as extra engine and wheels
- Customize the car to match the movie versions; step on the gas and prepare to travel Back to the Future
- Open the gull-wing doors, just like the real car; fold up the wheels and engage hover mode
- Jump on the skateboard and pull some tricks; build the model that LEGO CUUSOO members requested
- Includes building instructions and exclusive Back to the Future information booklet; car measures over 2″ (6cm) high, 5″ (15cm) long and 3″ (8cm) wide
Buy: Amazon $99.95
Sure, you could buy the McLaren P1 Lego set or the Porsche 918 Lego set, or you could buy a classic supercar. Get up close to one of the world’s greatest supercars-the Ferrari F40! This awesome LEGO Creator Expert replica of the iconic sports car with its sleek aerodynamic lines, distinctive rear spoiler and racing-red bodywork is packed with authentic brick-built details, including pop-up headlights, side air intakes and a vented rear hatch that opens to reveal a twin-turbocharged, 90-degree V8 engine! Open the doors and you’ll discover complete authenticity, right down to the crafted cabled door handles, steering wheel with Ferrari logo and 2 red racing seats, while under the hood you’ll find a luggage compartment and tools. A special windscreen element with printed A-pillars and custom-made, molded rim inserts with sturdy, road-gripping tires add the final touches to this intricately designed model, a must-have for all Ferrari fans!.
- Features an array of brick-built details, including a hinged, vented rear hatch, detailed twin-turbocharged, 90 degree V8 engine with quick release function, opening doors and hood with luggage compartment and tools,
- Additional features include pop-up headlights, cabled door handles, windscreen element with printed A-pillars, steering wheel with Ferrari logo, 2 red racing seats and custom-made, molded rim inserts
- Racing-red color scheme
- Ferrari F40 measures over 3″ (8cm) high, 10″ (27cm) long and 5″ (14cm) wide
- Lift the vented rear hatch to reveal the detailed V8 engine, open the doors to access the detailed, authentic interior
Buy: Amazon $220
Race to the finish with the Grand Prix Racer! Get ready to burn rubber in the Grand Prix Racer! This 2-in-1 LEGO® Technic model is crammed with realistic details and functions, like the opening engine cover, independent all-wheel suspension, V8 engine with moving pistons, adjustable rear spoiler and steering capabilities. Build a model that’s just like the real thing! Motorize it with 8293 LEGO Power Functions Motor Set (sold separately) for even more supercharged fun! Rebuilds into a cool Race Truck with independent front and rear wheel suspension, engine with moving pistons, opening hood and adjustable rear wing.
- 2-in-1 model: Rebuilds into a Race Truck featuring independent front and rear wheel suspension, engine with moving pistons, opening hood and adjustable rear wing.
- Features opening engine cover, independent all-wheel suspension, V8 engine with moving pistons, adjustable rear spoiler and realistic steering
- Measures over 4″ (12cm) high, 24″ (61cm) long and 9″ (25cm) wide
- Motorize the Grand Prix Racer with 8293 LEGO® Power Functions Motor Set (sold separately)
- Race Truck measures over 7″ (19cm) high, 17″ (45cm) long and 8″ (22cm) wide
Buy: Amazon $49.95
- 3-in-1 model: rebuilds into a classic racing car or tow truck.
- Features opening scissor doors, opening engine bay and detailed engine compartment, sunroof, sleek alloy wheels, and tan-color interior.
- Hook and tow with the tow truck!
- Tow truck features towing arm with hook and warning lights.
- Classic racing car features engine detailing and alloy wheels.